Tuesday, November 10, 2009

5 Easy Steps to Enabling SNMP on Cisco’s Unified Communications Manager for VoIP Monitoring

One of our offices has the new Unified Communications Manager (UCM) 6.1, the software-based call-processing component of the Cisco VoIP solution. Did you know that UCM supports SNMP monitoring? Based on a few conversations I had with people there seemed to be some confusion about the topic.

There is a good reason for the confusion. I was doing some SNMP polling and could not get the metrics to appear. It turns out that all previous versions of UCM supported SNMP by default, however the current version requires you to enable the protocol. After a bit of research I found that you need to enable SNMP on both the host server and the Unified Communications Manager application.


With both sets of SNMP services enabled, I was able to monitor both the health and status of the core system and gather quite a few metrics regarding the service. I’ll share a few of my favorite monitoring metrics and some associated screenshots in a later post.


For those of you, who already monitor your Unified Communications Manager with SNMP, let me know what you find useful. For those of you who have not turned on SNMP, here are the steps:


1. Open the web console to CCM


2. In the Navigation dropdown in the upper right, select Cisco Unified Servicability


3. Go to Tools / Service Activation


4. Select Cisco CallManager SNMP Service


5. Click the Save button


Here is a link to where I found the Cisco UCM MIBS.

1 comment: