Thursday, December 10, 2009

Home Networking Security...Beware

Guess what happened to me the other day? I was using a DynDNS service to remote into my house and mis-typed the IP address. Instead of being rejected, I was provided a prompt to a DVR system login (I don’t have a DVR). I did a quick Google search for default DVR username/passwords and found a large list of common username and passwords.


It’s amazing how many home devices are now IP enabled, but also concerning when you think about how many people are still using the default password info that comes with the device.
Hopefully it becomes common practice for everyone (inside our industry and outside of it) to change the default information, whenever they get a new device.

P.S.
Did you know there will be 215 million IP enabled devices by 2012?

No comments:

Post a Comment