Friday, June 18, 2010

The iPad in Action

I wrote a post some time ago about the potential of the iPad to help manage networks. Since then, I’ve grown much more excited about its potential as a business tool.

The iPad is such a powerful tool for IT administrators because it is much more convenient than a netbook. It is lighter and thinner, can be used instantly and has a large display area – a powerful combination for remote networking.

I’ve been using the iPad myself with the new version of dopplerVUE 2.1 and its web client capabilities. The display is perfect for the powerful visualization features of dopplerVUE. I can clearly display and monitor network status and performance by combining maps, charts and gauges into a single dashboard. If you want to give it a try for yourself, download the 30 day free trial version.

The iPad is a great tool while you’re on the go. Some tasks are always going to be much easier to address with the computer on your desk. But in my mind there is definitely a place for the iPad in terms of network management. If you’re using the iPad for IT management, it would be great to hear about your experience.

2 comments:

  1. Hello, this video is very interesting but those aren't always indicative of the way it actually works in real life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The one thing I'm still waiting for is the ability to console on either an iPad or Android based device. There are Bluetooth serial/usb adapters out there but, I still don't see any software to interface with them on a particular platform. I'm really wondering about the possibility of console on a Windows 7 tablet but, don't like the price tag or having to use Windows... Simply for those times when ssh dosn't do it...

    ReplyDelete